Friday, February 4, 2011

Today I am...39 weeks pregnant.

39 weeks. Not sure how many of these updates I have left in me. One for sure (I think) and then maybe one more? Either way, it's crazy how close we're getting. Of course, you wouldn't know it because not much has changed. Sure, I'm bigger and slower, but still no contractions. Almost everyone on the pregnancy message boards has experienced early contractions or Braxton-Hicks contractions by now, but not me. And I can only assume I'd know it if I'd had. My doctor assures me that's also normal and some people don't get them until they're really in labor. But, at the same time, I'd like to have a preview of this "worst pain of my entire life". Would make it less of a mystery. At this point, I'm waiting for some unknown hour on some unknown day where my body just revolts in pain. It's pretty awesome!

This week the doctor's appointment was status quo. Head down, heartbeat looked good, and I'm still 1 cm dilated. No signs of the lil' guy going anywhere for the time being. We did make progress at home this week though, as we completely re-did the guest room. And by "we" I mean John did the work and I supervised. Though I got to do the fun part of shopping for new bedding and pillows, etc. More errands meant more strangers asking me if I was expecting a girl but I didn't mind so much this week. I guess my body just likes to distribute the weight more evenly like a girl rather than have a belly that is pointy and sticks straight out like a normal boy baby. I'm sure it's because my body is used to distributing a lot of weight. :)

Today, in honor of being 39 weeks, we hired a housekeeper (maid? is that PC?) to come give our house a deep cleaning in preparation for baby. My parents and grandparents would be aghast at the idea of paying someone to clean my own house. I should get off my lazy butt and do it myself. And I should. But the idea of scrubbing the tub and getting every dust bunny out from under our bed while 9 months pregnant was painful. It's hard enough to pull on my pants and walk to the grocery store, let alone scrubbing floors. So we hired someone. Now I just have to think of an excuse to keep using her because our house looks awesome.

And now, for the weekly stats:

How far along: 39 weeks

Baby Development: Not much new to report on the development front. He's full grown and now just getting bigger and bigger in order to inflict greater pain on me during delivery.

Baby Movement: Great movement this week for the lil' guy, we were very proud of him. Though one night I was afraid he was going to kick through my belly.

Water Intake: I've decided to count coffee, milk, caffeine-free diet coke, and orange juice as water. In that case, I'm doing well.

Best Moment this Week: Probably getting a surprise ultrasound at the doctor's appointment. The lil' guy looked like a real baby in there!

Current baby/pregnancy worry: I'm back to worrying about labor and delivery. This may be from watching too many reality tv shows on pregnancy and birth. None of those moms look like they're having much fun in the hospital.

Symptoms: Same things you've heard about. I'm sure you're bored with it. Waddle walking, heartburn... but actually it hasn't been too bad.

Sleep Quality: Don't quote me, but I think I may be sleeping a TINY bit better than I was a few weeks ago. More pillows definitely help. Though now I am getting up for the bathroom three times a night but I guess that's how it goes.

Food Cravings: Ice Cream. Yum! The perfect way to end a day.

What I Miss: Being able to run errands or spend a few hours out of the house without having to find the nearest restroom. I'm tired of public restrooms.

I'm Looking Forward to: Superbowl this weekend! Probably the last time we'll host all our friends at our house without baby.

Trying to Get Done Before Baby:
Return some Babies r' Us stuff, get the car seat checked at the police station, and get our taxes done so we can get a refund and pay for more baby stuff.

John's POV:
"It still doesn't seem like this thing is ever going to happen. Even though something has obviously been happening for quite a while now. I don't see his motivation for leaving. It's warm and quiet and dark, he's constantly feeding or sleeping or both, and his mom carries him everywhere he goes. He's not trading up upon exiting."

No comments:

Post a Comment