Saturday, June 4, 2011

Today Jack is...15 weeks old.



This week was filled with lots of highs and a couple of lows. Well, one low if you lump it all into "sleep". As previously mentioned, Jack decided to take a pacifier this week. He doesn't take it all the time, but he does sometimes which is good enough for me. The other great thing is that we can almost see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as the car thing is concerned. Sure, he still cries a majority of the time but there have been a few rides where he hasn't cried. And that, my friends, is progress. Baby steps, but, nonetheless, very encouraging.

He still loves blowing spit bubbles and thinks it's the coolest thing ever.


And he still absolutely adores laying on the blanket in the grass outside and looking at all the trees. It's pretty much the highlight of his day.



This week a few of our visitors have noticed how awesome the lil' guy's ears are. That's right. I think I've mentioned before that he inherited my big ears (or more accurately, my big earlobes) and some days they stand out and look pretty awesome. I'd say I feel bad for him but he looks so damn cute. Our little monkey.



A very brief note about the low for the week because I know everyone is tired of hearing about it... but sleep. This kid hates it. And, unfortunately, it got worse this week. There's the naps which he'll take but ONLY in my arms. I do really enjoy our time together and know he won't be small forever, but I could use a 15 minute break once a day. You know, to remain sane and stuff. Then there's the dreaded nighttime. He used to at least sleep 4 hours in the swing and then sleep on us in bed. Now we're lucky to get 3 hours in the swing and he suddenly doesn't like sleeping on us in bed. Or sleeping anywhere after 12 or 1am. So he just fusses and cries until he gets really exhausted around 4:30am. This has lead to an extremely frustrated and tired mom and dad. Things always look fine and become rational in the daytime, but I'll tell you that, at 3am, things seem pretty bleak. Again, I don't mean to complain too much because he's so damn smiley and great during the day. Though I don't know how since the books and websites say a baby his age needs about 15-16 hours of sleep a day and our son only gets 10. But maybe he just doesn't need as much.

Okay, enough of the whining. Besides, I'm going to fall asleep at the computer from the sleep deprivation. On to the rest of the photos from the week!













2 comments:

  1. The sleep deprivation is terrible. Really, it is. (And you're not complaining about it as much as you think you are, just so you know!) But I promise there will come a day when he is one and a half years old and you'll realize that you're sleeping every night and have at least an hour every day to yourself. It seems SO FAR AWAY right now, but just know that it's there in the future. For now keep saying, "This is just a phase. This is just a phase. This is just a phase." Oh, and having an alcoholic drink every now and then helps. Serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mama Durso. When I was feeling stressed about sleep (or for me it was nursing-too much milk) N gave me a glass of wine and it was amazing how much better it made me feel.

    I think a blog should be a place where you feel comfortable sharing your frustrations (or you can create a second blog or page for that if you prefer), but find a place to share those thoughts too. We're here for you.

    ReplyDelete