Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Housekeeping...and blood.

I realize that, while I've been good about posting pictures of Jack here, I've been pretty bad at documenting milestones and schedules and specific development.  And I know 99% of you don't care about that... but I think I may want to look back and know when Jack's nap schedule changed or when he started drinking this or that or when he got his teeth.  I think the ship has sailed on a lot of this stuff but I'm going to try to just jot down some notes here so I can remember.  So, basically, this post is for no one but myself.  Enjoy!

Naps:
Jack is now down to one nap and has been for about a month I suppose.  He wakes up around 6 and then goes down for a nap any time between 11:30 and 1:00pm.  Then he usually sleeps a good 90 minutes to 2 hours.  Bedtime is still around 7:30 or 8.
(Truthfully I can't even remember when he went down to two naps but I think it was a long long time ago).

Drinking:
He's been on milk since he turned a year old.  When we switched from formula to milk we almost immediately ditched the bottles.  Well, upon waking he has milk from a soft spout sippy cup.  Then the same thing after his nap.  Then at bedtime he gets a bottle because, hey, why rock the boat?  He's going to bed so nicely nowadays and I don't think there's anything wrong with a bottle at bedtime.
He also drinks water and in the past couple of weeks, toddler juice boxes.  Or I fill his cup with water and put a splash of apple juice in it.  He can use a straw sippy cup but still doesn't like the hard spout cups.

Books:
He still loves books.  And still loves his old favorites like Elmer, Dr. Seuss (especially the Eye Book and Mr. Brown Can Moo), and animal picture books.  Now he also likes to feel the fuzzy, texture books too.  But he's also started to read some books with more words and less pictures.  I'm particularly delighted that he now likes the Big Red Barn, Goodnight Moon, all the Curious George books, and It's Time to Sleep My Love (a really lovely bedtime book with beautiful illustrations that he got as a gift from his cousin Christy).  He will sit and read them for an hour.

Sleeping:
Oh man.  It's been, on the whole, blissful.  I think around 12 or 13 months he finally started sleeping through the night.  And let me tell you, it's glorious.  Before that he used to need a bottle around 3 or 4, but for the past two months he's moved past that.  I have never been so happy in my life.

Teething:
This brings us finally to the blood portion of the blog.  The night before last Jack uncharacteristically woke at 3am with a lot of crying and we couldn't get him back to sleep for 2 hours.  We took turns rocking him in his dark room until he finally went back down.  Then yesterday morning I pulled Jack out of his crib to discover that his sheet was covered in what I would call a good bit of blood.  One spot the size of an apple and the rest of the sheet covered in lighter spots where the little guy had obviously smeared it around.  Combine that with bloody finger prints on the side of a white crib rail and you have yourself a scene from CSI.  I freaked out and examined him thoroughly but saw zero sign of where it came from.  No cuts, no dried blood on his face or anything.  I called the doctor and we figured out that it must be from his molars breaking through.  I had read that the toddler could bleed a bit when they finally broke through but I didn't think it meant it would be a giant gush of blood.  But, sure enough, he has all his molars.  Well, I think 3 of the 4 have officially poked through and the 4th is almost there.  Poor little guy.  It must have hurt so bad.

To make it up to him, I let him run around naked most of the day and he seemed to enjoy it.  :-)

 

 

2 comments:

  1. OMG! that molar story will haunt me all day. poor him, poor you. glad it's over. i personally very much enjoyed this post. i mean, how could anyone not? it's got a smiling jack running around "naked"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I agree with Stacey. I don't think I'd ever heard of that kind of bleeding while teething, but I guess I'm not surprised - the more I learn, the more I realize that pretty much anything can happen and count as "normal" when it comes to kids.

    And I'm SO GLAD that the sleeping is working out! Hooray for sleep!

    ReplyDelete