Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Get involved

 

Well, I feel like I've slowed down my blogging a little.  I certainly didn't mean to.  It's just that I can only work on my computer when Jack is asleep.  So that means I don't open my computer until 8 or 8:30pm and then I have about two or three hours until bedtime.  That sounds like a long time so I don't know what in the heck I'm doing but the time sure does fly.

One thing I've been doing is getting more involved in my Moms club.  I'm sure I've mentioned the fact that I'm in a club here locally for moms who are stay-at-home or work from home.  It's a national non-profit organization with chapters in different cities.  I guess one reason it's worked for me is because there's a structure to meeting people.  You have to pay dues (a very small amount) but it means that everyone wants to be there and wants to participate.  I was never going to be the person who would make new mom friends at the local Starbucks or the park.  But within this club I got to join a smaller 15-person playgroup with kids all Jack's age.  And I got welcome phone calls and emails from the President of the club and my assigned "big sister".  Really, the only unfortunate comparison I can make is probably to a sorority.  I guess I shouldn't say "unfortunate"...it's just that I'm clearly not a sorority type of girl.  OBVIOUSLY.

It keeps us busy though because we have our playgroup once a week.  And then there are activities for the whole club (about 115 members) about once or twice a week as well.   But back to why I haven't been blogging so much.  I've gotten more involved in the club so it's taking up a little bit of my "post-Jack bedtime" time.  First I took over the newsletter coordinator position so every month I put together our 20 page newsletter.  I volunteered because I knew it would be totally something I like doing.  Like a dork, I love doing the layouts and the graphics and working with fonts (so many different fonts!!).  But, man, it certainly does take some time.  I'm sure if I wasn't such a perfectionist and into making it look good it would take less time but, alas, it is what it is.

Then a week or two ago I got a call from the president (not THAT President, just a nice mother of two who lives a few blocks away) saying that one of the executive board members dropped out and would I become the new treasurer.  Sure, I thought.  Why not?  Well, I'm sure it'll be fun for the next year but it is certainly a commitment.  Board training retreat later this month, monthly board meetings, my name on a bank account and handling all the money...yikes.  But I'm happy to be busy doing something.  It's nice to have a job.

So, that was a REALLY long way of saying, I'm sorry I've been neglecting the blog a little.  I'll try to pick up the pace because, god knows, the internet needs even more pictures of Jack being cute.  :)

1 comment:

  1. how cool, congratulations! of course they immediately came to you for the newsletter and the money handling. if they knew about your handwriting, they would be asking you to produce the newsletter longhand. :)

    ReplyDelete