Friday, November 12, 2010

Today I am...27 weeks pregnant.

The start of the third trimester! I have to say that I can’t believe I am in the third trimester. Time has gone by so so fast. I am sorry to say goodbye to the honeymoon trimester because it’s been fairly nice and easy (knock on wood).


This week I had to do the obligatory gestational diabetes test. I was dreading it for many reasons. One, I didn’t want to fail it like a lot of my friends had. Two, I heard the orange sugar drink was pretty nasty. And three, the test means another needle and another vial of blood drawn. Turns out, it wasn’t that bad. I guzzled that orange drink quickly with no problem and maybe I’m even getting used to having my blood drawn. Who is this person?!


This week was a little rough because all of the many pregnancy newsletters I receive talk about the baby’s movement and what’s “normal” and doing kick counts. So, of course, the pessimist that I am, one night I felt like I didn’t feel him. I hadn’t felt any movements in a while. Of course, the logical, intelligent person in me looks back and thinks, yeah, he was probably sleeping. Leave him alone. That’s not exactly how it went down at midnight though. I freaked out, got up, tried to walk around a lot, had a big glass of orange juice, and put on some music. After what seemed like an eternity, I felt something. A little something. But it was enough. The following day he moved a lot, just to reassure me that everything was okay. But I wish someone had told me that this happens all the time. Babies will have active days and then a completely quiet day. Would have saved me from a lot of panic. Or maybe not.



And now here are the stats:


How far along: 27 weeks


Baby Development: He’s as big as a cauliflower and is sleeping and waking at regular intervals.


Baby Movement: Well, like I said, it’s up and down.


Water Intake: Going well. I’m proud of myself.


Best Moment of the Week: Hearing the little guy’s heartbeat at my doctor’s appointment.


Current baby/pregnancy worry: Everything. I’m kind of a worrier.


Symptoms: More heartburn and acid reflux. How do people deal with this on an ongoing basis?


Sleep Quality: Not too bad. I still can usually make it through the night without getting up.


Food Cravings: Chopped salad. Hear that? I do like some healthy stuff.


What I miss: Brie. What a fantastic cheese.


What I’m Looking Forward to: Hopefully my back will hurt less post-pregnancy.


Trying to get done before baby: Need to clean out my closet and give stuff to Goodwill.


John's POV: “Belle & Sebastian’s 'Boy With the Arab Strap' is what we used to get the baby moving. Specifically the title track. And a combination of the natural sugar of OJ. But I’ll never hear that record the same way again. Oh, and we went right out and ordered a fetal heart monitor. Anything not to put ourselves through that again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment