Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sleep deprivation is used as a torture device.

Remember in my pregnancy updates where I complained that I couldn't sleep well? I knew even then that I'd regret saying that and I sure do. Having a beach ball on my belly, an aching back, and heartburn from hell was a paradise compared to sleep now. For some reason, Jack has decided to get worse at sleep rather than better. The past week and a half has been a tremendous downhill slide. I figure if I write it down here, it might, shall we say, jinx it in reverse and it'll get better. (Because the day I posted that he slept 8 hours it all went to hell.)

So here was our night last night. Nursed at 7:30pm. Bath at 8:30. Nursed at 9:00. Put down to sleep (in his moving swing, the only way he'll sleep) at 9:30. Giant screams at 10:15. I assume I'll only have to soothe him and he'll go back down. Wrong. After as much crying as I could take, nursed for another 30 minutes. Back to sleep at 11. 3 glorious hours of sleep for mom and dad. Crying at 2:00am. Nursed for 30 minutes. Crying because he didn't want to go back to sleep. Fell asleep on me at 3. Woke up at 4 crying. Bounced on a ball until he fell asleep. Woke up at 4:30. Nursed for 30 minutes. John decided to take him so I could sleep. But Jack didn't like that too much. Cried from 5 to 5:30. Finally fell asleep on John at 5:30. Woke up crying at 6:15. After my nice husband attempted to soothe him for 30 minutes, finally caved and nursed him again for 30 minutes. And now it's 7:15. And he's wide awake. And so is mom. Sort of.

I know Jack's future friends Leo and Violet are also bad sleepers but I have to ask their moms, how do you survive? I know he'll eventually get better but he is so sensitive to every little thing. And he's so stubborn that he outlasts us at crying it out.

The bright side? When the sun comes up and we get a good look at him, we realize he's one of the cutest things in the whole world.

1 comment:

  1. commiseration!!! we will discuss in depth i'm sure. for any curious/desperate readers, i will say that side-lying while nursing has saved me. also of course we just co-sleep starting whenever we can't get her back down in the crib. it truly is survival mode, and i'll do anything to get sleep, bad habits be damned.

    ReplyDelete