Thursday, August 18, 2011

And I thought pregnancy brain was bad



I know when I was pregnant in one of my billion weekly pregnancy updates I complained about "pregnancy brain". I was forgetting things, it was hard to concentrate, etc. But that was nothing compared to "new mommy brain". I know my sleep-deprivation hasn't helped, but I feel like my mind has turned to mush in the past 5 months. I'm hopelessly forgetful, I can't remember what day it is, and I find myself making silly mistakes.

The other day I was spending some of my rare free minutes doing laundry when I went to transfer my wet clothes from the washer to the dryer. At that moment it dawned on me...I had forgotten to put laundry detergent in the washer. So my clothes had just gotten soaking wet and taken a spin, with no soap. I did what any other busy new mom would do...I put them in the dryer and decided they were clean enough.

Then last week I was even more colossally bone-headed. Every day it's sort of a challenge to eat a real meal during the day. Between holding Jack who hates to be put down, napping with him, and trying to take a shower every morning, I always have to hustle to find time to eat a meal. And because I'm breastfeeding, I'm generally very hungry and need to snack every few hours. Anyways, last week I looked at the clock and it was 11:15 am and I thought "man, I'm usually starving by now. I feel okay but I better make something before I get too hungry." I think I was about 90% done making my scrambled eggs when it dawned on me...I wasn't hungry because I had gone out to breakfast with John early that morning. The three of us had piled in the car, driven to a restaurant, ordered, eaten at a nice little table outside, and driven home all before 8:30. And I had promptly forgotten all about it two hours later. And THAT is mommy brain.

2 comments:

  1. hilarious breakfast story. the good news is that you also won't remember any of the mistakes (that you don't write down) in the weeks (or hours) to come. :)

    the $300 traffic ticket i got, however, may continue to sting a little, although i'm truly surprised it's my first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl, I hear you about the constant hunger and the sheer impossibility of making real meals. But OH how funny that you forgot about a restaurant breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete